Friday, June 29, 2018
lil Lucy and Grantsville tidbits
Teaching one year olds to entertain themselves right when you want them to is a tricky business. Parenting is a tricky business.
Today was a real slow day.. stayed at home played outside and inside and then outside and then inside.. walked across the street to get snow cones (coconut and cream for me and red raspberry and cream and sprinkles for Ella) while Lucy took a rare and late nap. I both love and hate slow days. I love that I don't have anything to do and then I feel lazy and that feeling is annoying. I AM NOT LAZY i tell myself as I'm sitting outside doing nothing. our yard in Grantsville is simply amazing. The trampoline is fabulous, the big tree that provides lots of shade on the side of the house is fabulous, all the pots of dirt the girls play in, the bag of grass clippings Lucy plays in is fabulous, it is wonderful and easy to be outside.
Here in little Grantsville, I am more online shopping happy than ever. Since Wal-mart is 20 min away and there's no target to be found, Costco is 40 min away, online shopping is my go to. and it seems Brent is the same. In the last 10 days or so, lets see if I can remember everything I've ordered:
1. the game Cover Your Assets, amazon.com
2. all red wool sneakers that I've loved for ages and finally bought, allbirds.com
3. jeans and pants for ELLA!! she requested jeans the other day (she has never in her non diapered life worn jeans! she of course has always been in dresses, and if not a dress, i have forced her into stretchy leggings, but all of a sudden, she found some 3T leggings i had tucked away in a drawer for Lucy to wear this fall and Ella has taken to them!) and a jumpsuit for me, target.com
4. golf balls and tees and a fancy set of golf clubs for Brent- who all of sudden is wanting to do weekly golf outings with some of his brothers and now he is ALL IN TO EVERYTHING GOLF. I am in full support, amazon.com
5. vanilla and chocolate protein powder from cleansimpleeats.com because one of these days I will lose weight, damn it
and there we have it.
Tonight, Ella and I went to Little Miss Grantsville, which is basically a beauty pageant for girls 9-12, and it was both darling and scary. There a lot of diva attitudes and hip bopping. They did a little interview with each girl. One was asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, and she went silent for a solid minute. the interviewer looked around wondering what to say to prompt her. the girl looked frozen. then some dink in the audience laughed. Anyhow, she finally said, "singer." But then, she was asked, "whats your most embarrassing moment?" and i thought to myself- yikes, way to call her out.
The theme of the pageant was The Greatest Showman and as part of their introduction, each girl said what part they would play in the circus. One said she wanted to be a clown, because then she could be both funny and scary.
A good 4-5 girls in a row said the ringmaster followed by some version of "because I like to run the show and be in the spotlight"
It was an eye opening experience.